Thursday, June 6

Day 6

Day #6: If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question 'what you do'?


Hello my dear readers. I have to admit that this week is taking a toll on my energy levels! Tired would definitely describe me at this moment - I took a two hour nap already since getting home from work and will be headed to bed shortly after I finish this post. All of this tiredness is the result of jam packed work days this week thanks to a combination of Vacation Bible School in the morning and events with my middle schoolers all afternoon. So I suppose today's question becomes that much more interesting of a topic to me since my job this week is about all I have energy to do.

I honestly encounter this dilemma of answering the question 'what do you do' often. Technically, I am a Director of Christian Education (DCE) Intern. However, usually people who are asking what I do have no idea what I do if I just tell them my job in the most technical sense. 

If I actually answer with my job title - people usually ask me if that means I am a teacher or a principle/school administrator of some kind. Which since the term "director" and "education" are in my title - I can see where the questions stem from - no worries! However, since I am supposed to be writing about what I say about my job if I can't answer with my job - you should read more about DCEs here and here - and here is our professional organization too: NADCE :) 

So what do I do? The most basic way I answer this question is that I try my best, everyday, to serve God through loving the people He has trusted me with! I work with Middle School students, High school students, and Young Adults (post high school and up). This age span can be generally summed up as working in youth ministry. Day to day that practically means that I prepare/plan/write things like Bible studies, events, retreats - all with the focus of providing opportunities for youth and young adults alike to be still before God, to be together as a communities of Christians, and to be faithful to what God has planned for their lives. 

One of my favorite parts about life are all the different people that there are to meet & the stories that each person has. With my job, I get the unique and blessed opportunity to become a part of the faith story of different people's lives. Most of the time, I just try to listen and be there to experience life with my youth & young adults. [Yup "my" - I like these people :) ]

My job is kinda messy sometimes - crazy hours, broken people, always something going on to take care of - but I really wouldn't have it any other way - since that's how life is at the end of each day - at little messy and in my case, totally blessed by a God who's love is unfailing through it all. My job is getting to see God working in new and different ways, through different people and circumstances all the time. Pretty amazing and humbling all at once.

6th Grade Retreat
Current state of my office - post birthday, decorated by some of my youth :)

More post-birthday office.
High School & Young Adult Ski Trip
High school fun.

More high school fun.

High School Freshman Retreat

These girls are great!

Cleaning up an event from Easter time.
High School Event weekend + DCE students from my college visiting to lead & learn!

Collages from a high school girls small group Bible study


No comments:

Post a Comment