Thursday, April 12

Too easy!

Good morning!
Today I have not been so lucky as far as more homework assignments getting cancelled, however promising myself I can blog for a little after completing the homework I do have is working out nicely :)


To back track a little bit, when I first started over-hauling my eating/living habits a year ago, I read a book by Dr. Joel Fuhrman called Eat to Live. I LOVED this book! He took a lot of time to explain the science behind how all food (healthy or otherwise) effects our bodies. Now, he recommends a diet that is high in nutrients and that is plant-based - however I realize that for many of you, reading Dr. Fuhrman's book & switching to a plant-based diet is probably not something that you will be doing anytime soon. BUT - there are 2 easy tips for making life a little healthier that you CAN start doing today even that I wanted to share. 

#1

The first one is the idea of eating by the 90/10 rule. On the Eat to Live plan 90% = focus on plant-based foods, 10% = meat products, but this concept applies to how you eat now too. The basics idea here are: 

  1. Eat as well as you can, and focus on eating foods with the highest amounts of nutrient to bad stuff (carbs, sugars...etc) 90% percent of the time. 
  2. The other 10% of the time is where things like Birthdays/PMS Week (ladies you know what I mean)/special occasions/laid back saturdays...etc come into play. 
Keeping this rule in mind, I have found to be really helpful, especially being away at college. Eating healthy food at college is somewhat of a feat, and takes a lot of planning ahead. By keeping a running approximate balance of where I am at on the 90/10 ratio it makes healthy eating a little simpler.


This is an article that explains more about Dr. Furhman's 90/10 <<<

#2


The second tip you can start T.O.D.A.Y, (seriously!) is drinking water consistently! Up until a few months ago, I had always kind of known/heard/read that it is important to drink water. But I did not realize that NOT drinking water contributes to things such as bloating occurring. This water article explains this idea and other effects of not drinking water more throughly, but again to share the basics:

  1. Our bodies are made up of a lot of cells. 
  2. Cells like having water. 
  3. If we don't drink enough water, our cells get a little nervous that we aren't going to replenish our water supply soon so they hold on to whatever water they have (causing bloating).
  4. If we drink water CONSISTENTLY (not necessarily in mass quantities, just consistently), our cells don't have to swell and hold onto water for dear life.
  5. End result = no more bloating, happier body! 
Again, not bloating is only one of the reasons to drink water consistently. This article talks about some more water stuff :)



Hope this helps & that you all have a wonderful day!
-Kyla

No comments:

Post a Comment