Friday, April 20

This is real life! Part #2: Placement Weekend

Officially 1 week ago today I got engaged!! That's still fun to say!!! Today I am headed to my first bridal show - which is mainly exciting because brides get into the show for free, and I fall into the bride category now :)


The other HUGE part of this past weekend was finding out where Adam & I would be placed for our upcoming internships.


(We are both in the Director of Christian Education program here at school. It's 5 years long, 4 years of classes, 1 year of internship in a church, then graduation. For our internships we get placed by our program director and have no clue where we will be going or what we will be doing at our churches until the placement service)


Anticipation leading up to the service this past Sunday was incredibly high, both for Adam & I, our fellow classmates, and our families! Overall the weekend was absolutely fantastic and it was a blessing to be able to celebrate both our engagement and our new ministries with our families!

Friday


My roomies decorated my door! Fun after work surprise :)



I worked most of the day on Friday, which was more exciting than usual because lots of people wanted to hear about how Adam proposed :) My family came in town during the afternoon on Friday, and I got to have a sleepover with my little brothers.


We spent most of the night playing games, including a Star Wars one of course!

Saturday

Saturday morning stared awfully early, due to the little guys thinking waking up at 4:15, 5, 6...etc was a great plan. We had pancakes in our pajamas before Mom & Dad came by. Mom, Dad, and two of the little guys headed down to Navy Pier to enjoy the city for the afternoon, while myself, Adam, and two of my other brothers - ran some errands and awaited the arrival of Adam's family.

Adam's family (grandparents included!), made it in town during the later part of the afternoon, shortly afterwards my family arrived back from downtown and we enjoyed an engagement toast together! Later that night Adam & I, our families, Kevin & Jordan, and 2 of the boy's other roommates who also got placed this weekend (Ryan & Andy) - and all of their families spent time out together at a local Irish pub  celebrating.

Engagement wine from Kevin & Jordan!


Sunday

FINALLY - Sunday arrived! Our families went to church and enjoyed brunch out at a cute Italian restaurant for the morning. After brunch was over it was basically time to head to our Chapel on campus for the placement service to begin. My godparents and one of my girlfriends - Hannah - also made it in town by this point. There was a lot of excitement and nervous-ness as we all headed over to worship and learn where we would be serving the next year. I was so humbled and amazed at how many people were able to join us for the placement service - it was such a powerful thing to hear everyone sing and praise God together. It was an added blessing that the service was streamed live online so that Allison & John could still be us all the way from Japan, and my grandparents in Pennsylvania, and many others were able to see everything. 

Adam will be spending the next year serving at Zion Lutheran in Wayside, WI and I will be spending the next year serving at Concordia Kirkwood in Kirkwood, MO!

It was such an amazing feeling of joy to finally know where we would be going! We are both incredibly excited about where God has called us to ministry and again so thankful for everyone's support. 

It's hard to believe that just one week ago, I had no clue that any of this would be happening or what life would look like, but I am SO excited
:)


Anyone in the St. Louis area, what are your favorite things to do there??

4 comments:

  1. I have some family that live 2 1/2 hours outside of St. Louis. I'll ask them if they have suggestions for any good spots in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I visited Phil there I was able to visit a few KEY places you should visit:
    1) St. Louis Zoo (FREE)
    2) Anheuser Busch Brewery!! (my favorite part was the clydesdale horses, also FREE, also 2 FREE beers)
    3) Ted Drews Frozen Custard
    4) Pappy's Smokehouse (infamous BBQ that sometimes sells out before dinner time each day!)
    5) The Delmar Loop for fun shopping/hipsterness
    6) Phil works at Chilis in Kirkwood so you should go there sometime and have him wait on you and a friend!!!

    ReplyDelete