Thursday, April 5

Blueberry Breakfast Bake.

Since moving from the college dorm life to college apartment life, over the last two years I have really enjoyed learning what kinds of foods I like to make and enjoy! Definitely have decided I am more inclined towards cooking. I tend not to have enough patience for baking - which has resulted in many a odd shaped cake because I tried to frost before the cake (< yes, that happened) was cooled all of the way. Oh well!


This past week I tried a new recipe I came across on this healthy living blog. I made a few changes to the recipe to accommodate the food I already had on hand and thought now I would share it with all of you! This breakfast bake is tasty and filling, and smelled awesome while it was baking!


So here are the ingredients I used for my Blueberry Breakfast Bake:

Ingredients

  • 3 cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
  • 2 cups steel cut oats
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 large ripe Banana, mashed
  • 3 cups Blue Diamond Almond milk vanilla unsweetened
  • 3 cups Water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla sweetener
  • 1 cup liquid Egg Whites 
  • 2 cups frozen blueberries
  • Cooking Spray

Method:


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit with the rack in the middle. 
2. Spray a large, oven-safe 4 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl mix together mashed bananas, almond milk, water, egg whites and vanilla. 



3. Combine all in the baking dish, adding blueberries last. 
4. Bake about 45-60 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed. 


I was not sure how much the oats would rise as they baked, so I placed my dish on a cookie sheet with edges just in case :) It took around 55 minutes for the liquid to be absorbed, but then finally it was time to enjoy the finished project!




5. Let the breakfast bake cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Top with additional fruit and/or yogurt, I added some more blueberries and bananas to mine - delicious!




You can use any other fruit instead of blueberries for the main part of the dish and/or for toppings! Here are a few ideas:


  • Strawberries
  • More bananas
  • Raspberries
  • Dried Fruit + Raisins
  • chopped, toasted Nuts
  • Greek Yogurt
  • Whipped Cream
  • ground Cinnamon


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment