Monday, September 5

A living house.

Of the many writers whose works I enjoy reading, studying, and taking in - C.S. Lewis is hands down one who I respect and admire. As I look back over the summer months and begin to engage in school life, once again, I find much truth in his words: 


"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself." 


This summer I was a Program Coordinator for Group Week of Hope in Charleston, SC. Last summer, I did the same job at the Loveland, CO site and while both summers were completely different experiences, the same truth held for both: God always has a bigger plan than anything I can dream or understand. 


In the context of my healthier eating lifestyle I embarked on in the spring, this meant that sometimes its not about the food. Camp food (for those of you who have never experienced it) is not exactly what I would label as "gourmet" or "organic". Camp food is designed to feed the masses in a timely fashion so that they have energy to enjoy their camp/mission experience. Most of the food that is readily available in the summer (and lovingly prepared by volunteers and campers) is not what I would choose to eat any other day of the year. But, in the perspective of 100s of people giving up their time to serve a community & people in need - my personal food preferences pale in comparison. 


One of the many ways I was humbled this summer, was by the reminder that I am blessed to be able to make a decision about what I eat the other 9 non-summer months of the year. And for the 3 months that God puts me in the position to direct a mission experience for 100s of people, the food doesn't matter. 


What matters is seeing God's love transform people. Transform attitudes and misconceptions about what it means to serve. Transform years of struggle with misunderstanding just how much God made each and every person out of His love. Transform a group of strangers on Sunday into a family connected through what Christ did for us on the cross by Friday. Transform a 21 year old me more and more through way only He can direct. 


"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house...You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself"


I pray I continue to be amazed at how God will continue to use me, my goals of healthy eating, and life experiences as my Senior year of college is now underway...



No comments:

Post a Comment