Tuesday, April 19

Unexpected.

True life: this morning I declined being offered coffee.

This was potentially one of the harder tasks to take on in these past couple of days. On top of declining the coffee I then had the experience of sitting in a meeting while everyone else (okay there were only 2 other people...but still) everyone else was enjoying their warm and soothing smelling cup of joe. I admit, I was possibly slightly overwhelmed by how great the coffee smelled. It smelled wonderful enough to make me forget about how much I loved breakfast this morning (a fresh fruit salad!) and also wonderful enough to make me consider dropping everything and sprinting to the closest Starbucks for some comfort drinking.

I was asked if I had given up coffee for Lent. My response was "No, I've given it up for life". What??? Yes. You can pick your jaw up off of the ground now if you like. Coffee isn't great for you, but man it smells awesome!

This is tough. But being healthy and conscious of what I am putting into my body, is still a great great thing. Unless the coffee is being held right under my nose (like this morning) - I really am still excited about my new changes in eating.

For this morning though, I just will keep reminding myself about how healthy my bones and heart will be from lack of downing cups of coffee every day. Because what I really want right this moment is a huge steaming mug of java.

It was an unexpected question this morning: Do you want some coffee?

And the person asking had no idea how loaded that question then became for me...But that is life I suppose. Full of unexpected moments that are defining of who we are and what we value.

The unexpected matters.

3 comments:

  1. Water is bad for you if you drink too much.. Everything is ok in moderation

    ReplyDelete
  2. True to a point...but when the cons outweigh the pros - drinking coffee becomes not worth it. The addiction factor of the caffeine and how that affects me getting a lot of headaches - compared to healthier drinking options makes a lot more sense. The effect drinking coffee can have on hunger levels isn't great for ya either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I definitely need to work on! My coffee addiction is as intense as yours was. But, I'm extremely proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete